Dermal fillers are injectable material that can be injected in the face, neck, décolletage, and other areas of the body. The fillers are injected underneath the skin to correct or minimize permanent lines and grooves in the skin, plump and define lips, augment the cheeks and chin, fill the hollows under eyes, replenish the volume loss from aging, shape or sculpt different areas of the face and neck, and fill the back of the hand to make the veins less prominent. Dermal fillers help hydrate the skin and improve skin elasticity and tone.
In the U.S. Market there are different types of dermal fillers: Hyaluronic acid fillers (HA) such as Restylane®, Juvéderm®, and Belotero®, calcium-based filler such as Radiesse®, and collagen-stimulating fillers such as Bellafill® and Sculptra®.
Hyaluronic Acid (HA)
HA is a natural sugar found in the skin, it does not contain human or animal material. It delivers nutrients to the skin, helping the skin retain moisture and softness while also adding volume. HA fillers are temporary, FDA approved, and are the safest fillers in the market.
Restylane® and Juvéderm are the most common Hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers in the U.S market. They both have a variety of subtypes that mainly vary in their consistency, thickness, and longevity. Thicker fillers are indicated to volumize, lift, and plump whereas thinner fillers are better used to smooth permanent lines in the skin. The longevity of the product depends on the type, treated area, age, activity level, lifestyle, and the filler can last from 3 months to 24 months. Touch up treatments may be necessary in order to maintain desired results.
What is the Restylane family?
- Restylane L®: This is classic Restylane that can be used for lips, nasolabial folds, and under eyes. It can last up to 6 months.
- Restylane Lyft®: This a thick filler that can be used to lift, augment, volumize, and contour the cheeks and chin as well as fill the temples and the backs of the hands. It can last up to 18 months.
- Restylane Silk®: This is a thin filler that is optimal for fine lines such as smoking lines, defining the lips, and under the eyes. It can last up to 6-9 months.
- Restylane Defyne® and Refyne®: These are stretchable fillers that can be used in the nasolabial folds, marionette lines (sad lines), under eyes, lips, vertical lines around the lips, and the neck. It can last up to 9-12 months.
After a thorough assessment, Dr. Salti will determine the optimal filler for the desired area and the degree of deficit that needs to be corrected.
What is the Juvederm family?
- Juvéderm Voluma®: Used in the cheeks, chin, and temples to volumize, lift, and contour the area. It can last up to 24 months.
- Juvéderm Ultra XC®: Used in the lips, nasolabial folds, and marionette lines to fill, correct, plump, and smooth the treated area. It can last up to 9-12 months.
- Juvéderm Volbella XC®: Used to add subtle volume to the lips and smooth the appearance of the vertical lip lines.
- Juvéderm XC®: Used to smooth the lines around the nose and mouth. It can last up to 12 months.
- Juvéderm Vollure XC®: Used to add volume to lines around the nose and mouth. It can last up to 18 months.
Calcium-based filler: Radiesse
Radiesse® is a paste-like material, collagen stimulating, non-reversable filler that can last up to 18 months. Radiesse® is a volumizing and smoothing filler. It can be used in the nasolabial folds (lines around the mouth), marionette lines (sad lines), chin, temples, and cheeks. Radiesse is not indicated for lips or under eyes.
Before and After Gallery
Pictures provided from Galderma the manufacturer of Restylane®, and Allergan , the manufacture of Juvederm®